Now Next Dance Bridge Program
Now Next Dance/Bridge offers recent college dance graduates a challenging and supportive transition from college to a complex field. The Bridge program combines a certification in the Now Next Dance/Youth and Now Next Body techniques, creative real world experience in curriculum and arts administration, while developing the dancer's creative voice and physical practice.
- Six months: June to December or January to July (the program is closed in August)
- Three days/week (2 days studio & 1 field trip)
- Studio days include technique classes with our partner companies, Now Next Body class, teacher training workshops, student teaching, and experience hours
- Field trips include site visits and mentoring sessions with young professionals working in dance or dance-adjacent fields in DC and informational interviews with arts managers/mid-career professionals
- NND Trainees have the opportunity to perform and create as part of the Bridge Program. This builds their professional performance dossier and provides exposure in the DC dance scene.
- For two weeks, NND Trainees will participate in a new works research session with a NND member artist, culminating in an informal showing
- NND Trainees will participate in at least one NND summer workshop and the NND Leadership Institute
- Trainees will co-produce an informal concert at Dance Loft on 14.
Trainees will build a set of hard skills through a series of program activities. Unlike an internship where interns provide ad hoc and sometimes low-skilled support, Trainees will have the opportunity to develop and take full credit for these skills. Trainees will end the Bridge Program with a digital portfolio that may include the following:
- Social media
- Events production
- Database management
- Technical theater skills
At the end of the program students will have:
- Opportunity to test for certification as a Now Next Dance/youth and Now Next Body instructor
- Ability to develop and run NND youth satellite programs
- Polished & practical Resume
- Network of connections
- Interview and presentation skills
- Grant writing/writing skills
- Social media portfolio
Twice per month, Trainees and the Director will take a field trip to meet with dance and dance-adjacent professionals in the DC metro area. These field trips will include a site tour, informational group interview, and in some cases a work observation. In addition to the field trips, NND can facilitate job-shadow days for Trainees interested in a particular workplace. Depending on the needs of each trainee class, these may include:
- Dance advocacy organizations
- Dance festivals
- Dance companies
- Government entities
- Graphics/arts media/marketing firm
- Arts education centers
- Dance outreach projects
- Presenters and education institutions
- Service organizations
- Grantmaking bodies
- Funding resources
- Physical therapy offices
- K12 school
- Independent schools
Student teaching hours
- Co-Teaching Now Next Dance: After the first month, Trainees will co-teach one after-school Now Next Dance class to youth living in the DL14 neighborhood.
- Now Next Body: After completing the NNB coursework, students will teach Now Next Body to community members. This class will be taught in rotation and Trainees will take class when not teaching.
- Teaching project: As a culminating project, NND Trainees will set up one NND workshop for a population of interest. Each Trainee will produce and teach this event, with support from the director and other trainees.
Full program: $3,500
Now Next Body certification only: $1,500
Students who are interested should contact the Now Next Dance director to discuss the application and audition process: